Thursday 26 February 2009

Nars Oil Free Foundation

I decided to try this foundation because I wasn’t pleased with my Mac Studio Fix fluid. I went to a Nars counter and tried on the Nars Balanced foundation, (they didn’t have the oil free one that matched my skin tone). I think the difference between the two is the balanced one provides a sheer coverage and the oil free one provides medium coverage. I left this a few days to see how my skin reacted and went back a few days later and brought the Nars Oil Free foundation (even then I felt like I was taking a risk with my skin because it wasn’t the exact one I tried but I wanted medium coverage so I purchased the oil free one. I almost took this back for an exchange after I had left the counter for the balanced one but I told myself I should be ok with oil free).

I am really impressed with this foundation. When I first it applied to my skin, it felt really light yet the coverage was still flawless. I am used to feeling foundation on my skin but this was not like anything I had experienced before. I guess I usually feel that my skin feels heavy when I apply a foundation, my spots can sometimes feel itchy and irritated but this did not do this so I was surprised at how different this felt.

I found this to be a very buildable foundation; you can begin with a small amount and apply more if you want more coverage. I also found that this does not look cakey on my forehead which I find my other foundations tend to do. Even though I moisturise my forehead and then use primer, my foundation always tends to look flaky and dry on my forehead. I found that this foundation lasted all day and I didn’t feel that it slipped off my face. This foundation is a matte finish which I prefer, if I want to have a dewy finish, I mix a little of my Benefit’s High Beam to it.

The formulation is also quite thin, when you shake it you can hear it and you do not need a pump to get it out the bottle, it can just be poured out. I am directly comparing this to my Mac Studio Fix fluid. I had to go out and buy a pump because I couldn’t get it out the bottle when I tried to pour it out. The formulation is definitely a lot thicker with the Studio Fix fluid and when I apply this on my skin, I find this very heavy and it breaks me out if I wear it all day (something the Nars foundation hasn’t done) and it’s not a foundation I find buildable. I guess I’m not a fan of Mac foundations considering my review on the studio fix powder foundation.

No comments: